Manatee


Manatee
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


Manatees (family Trichechidae, genus Trichechus) are large, fully aquatic marine mammals sometimes known as sea cows. The name manatí comes from the Taino which are the original peoples of the Caribbean, meaning "breast". They comprise three of the four living species in the order Sirenia, the other being the dugong, which is native to the Eastern Hemisphere. The Sirenia is thought to have evolved from four-legged land mammals over 60 million years ago, with the closest living relatives being the Proboscidea (elephants) and Hyracoidea (hyraxes).[1]

***Kyle called last night and informed me that this picture I didn't include on the blog is a manatee right under the water. So I thought I'd better add it on to the blog with description! Sorry Kyle, but I just thought it was more of the dolphins!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Iowa Blizzard 2009

Ty Football 2010

Congratulations Kyle & Taylor